A basic fried dough recipe:
1 cup of water
2 cups of flour
3 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl
- Add a little additional flour or water as needed to get a nice dough consistency.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and role each on between your palms into balls.
- Using a rolling pin roll them out till they are thin and oval shaped
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet. Don't skimp on the amount of oil. There should be enough so the flattened dough has oil curling just up the sides of the dough.
- Wait till the oil is hot and place the dough in. To test the heat of your oil take a small piece of flattened dough and place it in the oil. If the oil bubbles then you've got it hot enough.
- Flip the dough once you notice the edges getting brown.
- Tell your children and others in your house to do some chores or play outside so you can get first dibs on the finished product.
- When finished take the crispy dough out of the oil, drain for a few seconds on a paper towel.
- Dress it up with butter, sugar and lemon, chocolate or anything else you'd like. I take mine with a thin spread of strawberry jam and habanero pepper flakes.
See how these two young girls do it. They'll show you how simple it really is to make these.